Monday 1 July 2013

Thoughts of Outback adventures


Thoughts of Outback adventures


It’s mid-March 2013 and I have started to think about my outback journey this year. The Internet has already advised that the best time to travel will be between the month of May to September, with particular regards to weather conditions at that time of year. Before May and it could be too cold. After September and it could be too hot. Well, it’s a starting point!

Judging by the information provided by the ‘Whereis’ Internet mapping program, the journey looks like it will use sealed roads (except around Uluru), which is always a pleasure. Later on, I will use Google Earth to have a closer look at conditions along the route.

First of all there is the need to establish the route. This will then enable me to calculate distances between stop overs, determine if there is a need to carry water and provisions, petrol availability and to check that ‘Buddy’ will be welcome at the caravan parks. I start my “Outback” spreadsheet!

My Prado has a second battery fitted to back up the caravan battery, and two petrol tanks capable of carrying 180 litres of petrol and UHF communications system, whilst the caravan has 2 9 litre gas bottles, carries 120 litres of water, a fridge and cooker that can work off gas or battery, a toilet and shower, air-conditioning, TV, microwave,a bunch of CD’s and DVD’s etc (and there is nearly always the good old ABC radio) … I think I can survive on the side of the road for about 4 days without consuming the essential services that is a part of my rig. If you see me on the highway, don’t forget t give me a little wave :)

For further safety, I have had a set of five wheels fitted. The tyres are BFGoodriche 265/70R17 All Terrain and the wheels are ‘Kings’. The reason for the new wheels was that I had about 75% life left in my road tyres, so my thinking was to have two sets of wheels for the different conditions (I would only take the All Terrain combination on the trip). I now feel safer should I encounter sandy roads in the outback

MY Rig:




Add to this, the huge plastic box I carry in the back of the Prado with all the tools one could reasonably expect to need (and some that really push the imagination!). Spare fuses, rope (The Prado has a winch) and of course, a first aid kit. Yes, I think I am pretty well catered for.

My lady friend, Liz, will come along for the adventure and be in charge of financial stuff and food.

My Border Collie “Buddy” will be travelling so he will also have his ‘First-aide’ box at the ready. (Last December on a trip South along the East coast, he got a paralysis tick in the side of his face which nearly killed him, so I am a bit sensitive to his needs).

Kudos to:


  • Whereis Maps
  • Google Maps
  • Blogger
  • MacJournal
  • Various Internet information providers

No comments:

Post a Comment